Volunteer Background Checks
YORKTOWN COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
The purpose of the volunteer background check procedure is to help ensure the safety and security of our students at Yorktown Community Schools. A complete background check will be required once every three year if a volunteer is directly supervising students; traveling with students; or repeat volunteer in classrooms, library, etc. Background checks must be submitted and approved prior to any volunteer activity taking place in the Yorktown Community Schools.
Volunteers will be required to:
- Complete an Expanded Criminal History Check
- Complete the mandatory bullying prevention training
- Complete the Volunteer Agreement & Wavier
The volunteer expanded background check is conducted by Safe Hiring Solutions, LLC.
The background check is a 2-step process. Step 1 is the Criminal History Background Check. Step 2 is the INDIANA DCS (Department of Child Services). Within a few days after completing Step 1, you will receive a separate email from the Indiana Department of Child Services to complete the required Indiana DCS form online. The email will come from [email protected].
- Click on the link below to take you to the Safe Hiring Solutions/Volunteering site
- Provide your name and email address and click the “login” button
- Click on the empty drop down box and select “Volunteer”
- Continue by following the remaining directions on the page. Click the “Submit” button when finished.
Please note that you will need a debit or credit card to complete this process. There is a charge which is non-refundable.
The Expanded Criminal History Check for volunteers will include the same search criterion which is applied to perspective YCS employees. This check does require a fee and the cost is the responsibility of the volunteer applicant.
The Expanded Criminal History Check shall include but not be limited to:
- National criminal history check (as defined by I.C. 20-26-2-1.5) of criminal history record system maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation is based on finger print identification or another method of positive identification;
- Search of the national sex offender registry maintained by the United States Department of Justice.
All information regarding the applicant will remain confidential.