Yorktown Community Schools has been working diligently to plan for the possibility of a positive Coronavirus COVID-19 situation. To be clear - we have not been notified of any Yorktown students or staff testing positive. We will continue to plan for any possible scenario and be vigilant, since ensuring a healthy learning environment is critical.
Here are some important updates you need to be aware of:
- As the number of individuals in Indiana testing positive continues to increase, it is important to note that once this occurs, many decisions, including school closures, could be decided by the county department of health, not just the school district alone
- Should a YCS student or staff member test positive for COVID-19, we will be under the direction and advice of the Delaware County Health Department about school closures for a specific number of days and would institute eLearning for those school days. If this occurs, families will receive communication from their schools about eLearning procedures. Please be patient because this is not a typical eLearning situation.
- Please remember that we are prohibited from sharing specific health information about students and staff. Doing so would be illegal. Please do not engage in speculation, online or in person, about neighbors or classmates.
- We have initiated enhanced disinfecting protocols of our classrooms and buildings with our custodial staff. This includes, but is not limited to, enhanced disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces, including railings/bannisters, desks, and light switches. YCS buses are also being disinfected more regularly. We are also encouraging staff to allow more time for students to wash hands, knowing that soap and water is the best form of disinfecting.
- If you are traveling to one of the countries with a Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) level 3 travel health notice, it is recommended that you self-quarantine for 14 days. Additional information, as well as a list of countries with health advisories, is available at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html. Please visit this website before, during, and after travel to ensure you are cleared to return to normal activities and for additional updated information.
- Families planning international travel should keep in mind that this situation is rapidly evolving. International travel to areas where COVID-19 is spreading may result in delays or possibly quarantine if travel recommendations change while abroad. If you do travel internationally to a level 3 country, or believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, please notify the Delaware County Health Department 765-747-7721, M-F 8:30am - 3:30pm, or the Indiana State Department of Health Department of Epidemiology Resource Center at 317-233-7125 or after hours at 317-233-1325.
- At teacher discretion you will notice some extracurricular events have been cancelled or postponed to a later date. Please watch for updated communications from your child's school. We urge event attendees to follow CDC recommendations. Again, this situation is fluid. As always, if you are sick, please refrain from coming to school.
- Your student’s school-issued device should be taken home every night in the event of an unexpected closure.
- This is a helpful resource on how to talk to your children about Coronavirus.
This is an evolving situation and we are following this closely on an hour-by-hour basis.
Please visit the CDC site for the most up-to-date information.
Here is what you can do to help:
We would encourage families to begin conversations about what your family plan would be in the event of an extended school closure. If the Health Department requires or advises us to close our schools, your family needs to have a plan in place to address an extended eLearning window. If buildings close, this would mean all programs and activities would close. We will abide by the recommendation of the Delaware County Health Department or other governmental entity.
Thank you for your attention. We will keep you posted on any changes or updates.